Friday, September 17, 2010

Nesting

Somehow, lately, I've felt the need to nest.  All I want to do is make my own stuff from scratch and have all handmade whatevers lying about my house.  I do this a lot with my spinning/knitting stuff, of course.

The latest incarnation of this is that I'm making an afghan from handspun yarn.  I spun the yarn earlier this year...2 lbs of handdyed BFL from Southern Cross Fibre and 1.2 lbs natural oatmal BFL from Spunky Eclectic.  The pattern is from Berroco and is called "Komb".  It's actually a rather easy pattern and is super clever in that you pick up stitches from your last hexagon to create the next one.  Thank goodness because seaming together 60 hexagons isn't my idea of a good time!  Anyway, DH and I are calling this afghan the "Football Afghan."  The goal is to finish the afghan by the time college football season is over.  I started it the first day of the season.  I don't really care about football that much, but DH really loves watching the college games.  So, to occupy myself while still being able to sit with him, I choose to spin or knit.  This year, I'll be working on my Komb during the football games and hopefully finish it!  I'm already 1/10 of the way done!  Hurrah!!  Here is the pic of my handspun yarns I'll be using:

Other than that, I've decided that I also want to finally get around to sewing up my rag quilt.  I bought the fabric ages ago (sometime last year).  Perhaps, I'll get both the afghan and the rag quilt (also pretty much afghan sized) before football is over.  That would probably be pushing it, but what the heck...I'll give it a whirl! :)  I seriously think I need to get better at sewing because I think it could be something I would really enjoy.  I have visions of making my own skirts out of fun prints and even bought a book recently that tells me how to make clothes that fit my body...big hurrah there too!

Also, after reading several blogs and seeing some amazing pics on flickr, I think I really want to learn how to do some canning.  DH bought me a fabulous cookbook on canning/preserving/recipes to use your canned stuff in for my birthday this year.  Now all I need is the equipment, some jars, and some veggies to get me going!  Hope to get that started soon too.

This all begs the question...when the heck do I have time to do all this?  No idea, but lately, I'm feeling so much better that somehow, I want to do everything!  So, watch out world...I'm out to conquer you!  hehe...just kidding! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment