Thursday, September 16, 2010

Should have been yesterday's blog post...

That's right...this post you are about to read should have been yesterday's blog post, but I didn't have a moment to post yesterday, so you get it today.

As some of you probably know, I have a Never Not Knitting Page-A-Day Calendar by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (a.k.a. The Yarn Harlot).  The Yarn Harlot writes humor books about knitting and for knitters as well as a very clever little calendar that gives you funny quips, quotes about knitting, quotes that should be about knitting, and other little tips.  I LOVE this calendar!  If you are a knitter, you NEED it!  Anyway...

Yesterday's "Wednesday Purls of Wisdom" was the fact that September 15th (yesterday) was Julia Child's birthday, arguably one of the most inspirational chefs in America.  That calendar page had two things I love in it...food and knitting.  I LOVE to cook and try new recipes, and I'm a big fan of Julia Child.  I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't own her cookbook, nor have I tried to make any of her recipes at home.  However, occasionally, on the weekends, I do catch a re-run of her show or a show that she did with Jacques Pepin on PBS.  All I have to say is that the woman makes even the most challenging recipes seem possible for anyone to do.  She didn't even care if she messed up while cooking on her show, and quite frankly, she just plain cracks me up!! :)  I could probably watch her all day and be perfectly entertained and totally inspired.  Have you seen the relatively recent movie, Julie and Julia?  I have, and I loved that as well.  It's kind of what got me on the whole Julia Child kick...more just got me interested in stopping channel surfing and watching when she's playing on PBS.  What a remarkable woman she was!

On top of all of that, Julia Child's mannerisms and personality remind me so much of my grandmother in so many ways.  Yes, the very same grandmother who called me "Doodlebug."  I remember being in my early teens and just laughing at my grandmother because she and her mannerisms were so darn cute!  Julia Child has that same effect on me.  My mother sometimes would tell me I shouldn't laugh at my grandmother, but my grandmother always said, "Laughter is the sign of pure and true love!" :)  She was so wise in so many ways.

So, after gushing about Julia Child being in my knitting calendar (perfect combo if you ask me!), I think I'm going to reiterate to my husband that the following is on my Christmas list this year as it was last year (in no particular order):

  1. Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child 
  2. Julie and Julia - the recent movie
  3. Julia Child - The French Chef 1 and 2
Perhaps by this time next year, I'll have made Beef Bourguignon (said in best Julia Child accent)! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment